SOMALI WOMEN SOLIDARITY ORGANIZATION
Somali Women Solidarity Organization is a nongovernmental organization (NGO) which was formed in 2006 and subsequently registered with the Somali Federal Government as well as the Department of Administration and Social Services of Jubba Administration. The organization was formed through joint indigenous intellectual efforts with the help of the local appealing force on the ground.
The organization is a non-profit making organization that supplements the Somali Federal Government humanitarian efforts in development.
SWSO aims to support the improvement of the livelihoods of the local communities in the greater regions of South Central Somalia since it operates in areas inhabited by the pastoral communities who are highly dependent on livestock for their social and economic well being and are under civil strife following the collapse of the Somali government of Siyad Bare in the early 1990.
These areas are highly vulnerable to unpredictable climatic changes and are constantly faced with drought, epidemic livestock diseases and constant resource based conflicts. Animal and human health, education, water and other social services are poorly developed in these areas due to the poor road infrastructure, insecurity, resources constraints, cultural biases and inappropriate policies on pastoral development. For pastoralist to take advantage of the situations and resources around them there is need for programs that can enable them to have access to basic human rights.
SWSO hopes to achieve this through trainings, monitoring, and development of physical facilities, awareness creation and strengthening community structures. As an institution, SWSO has clear strategies and operational policies on how it conducts its affairs and interventions covering staff and personnel welfare, conduct and safety especially in emergencies considering the fragile environment in which the organization operates.
The organization works at grassroots level to enhance the capacity of communities it works with to respond to their basic needs and advocates for their plights to elicit actions on their needs and interests in both the national and international arena. It is for this reason that SWSO has put together a number of intellectuals who have the skills and professions to consolidate its institutional capability in working with the Transitional Federal Government and international agencies operating in the region in delivering effective services to the poor communities and collaborating as an implementing agency and information-sharing partner.
The organization designs and implements its projects through participatory development model in order to empower local communities in addition to meeting their needs.
Since its inception SWSO has built its reputation at grassroots level by providing amicable working environment through participatory approach to involve community in its project.
Core areas of concern and interventions revolve around-:
- Promotion peacebuilding and conflit transformation and increasing women’s participation in society’s decision making sectors
- Women empowerment ,enterpreuership skills development
- Literacy and skills development for women and other marginalized groups including girls child Education and minority groups in the community
- Trained participants on trauma healing, mediation and negotiation skills for stabilization of Somalia
- Livelihood through cash for work.
- Youth emperworment though training in peace interms of sport and skills.
- Promote role of women in political participation and decision making sectors
- Capacity building among community institutions that are important for public administration and service delivery
- Protection-SGBV,FGM Child protection, and advocate for human right and justice
- Improve and protect environment
- Wash and Sanitation sector.
- Micro finance through small scale business oriented.
A peaceful and stable Somalia with good governance where empowered women and marginalized populations participate in leadership, decision making and development of our nation.
SWSO will be the organization of choice
To inculcate community empowerment where injustices are alleviated and people live with dignity and freedom. Women will have access to equal opportunity and participation in political, leadership and decision making.
We will achieve this guided by our core values (PRAC) Professionalism, Respect, Accountability and Commitment and through our 7 pillars guided by our core values.
- Accountability and transparency
- Commitment and cooperation
SWSO is guided in delivering its services by the following core values
- Sincerity and honesty
- Equity and fairness
- Accountability and transparency
- Commitment and cooperation
- Professionalism and voluntary service
- Conservation fog the environment
- Upholding the sanctity of human life
- Gender sensitivity
SWSO has set out to facilitate lasting impressions through a set of 7 pillars to achieve its mission:
- Economic empowerment- through skills development and IGAs
- Advocacy – Political, leadership and decision making positions
- Reproductive health
- Protection-GBV, human rights
- Conflict resolution and response by re-directing individual and collective human energies towards mutually productive engagement that forestalls a culture of respect for life and human dignity as well as universal human rights and peacefull coesxistence in diversity.
- A network that brings together diverse clans and civil society organizations to collaborate on peace building, advocacy and skill and capacity building.
- To strengthen dialogue and cooperation in order to create a positive, inclusive and collaborative peace mediation process which is sustainable for all parties.
- To improve the standard and quality of human life by alleviating poverty through equitable distribution of resources to the community.
- To improve the standard of education for especially women and girls to reduce illiteracy levels.
- To strenghthen the capacity of women to enable them actively participate in decision making, leadership, education, health and economic development of the nation.
- To improve the livelihoods of the pastoral communities through rehabilitation of local production hence reduce hum an suffering in times of emergencies and vulnerabilities.
- To empower the capacity of the communities to manage the natural resource promoting environmentally friendly projects and revival and preservation of indigenous fauna and flora.
- To initiate development projects in the areas for sustainable developments that also embraces sound environmental conservation and management, hyegiene and proper sanitation.
- To Provide protective environment to servivors of sexual violence as well as female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and hitherto setting up referral setting for the affected groups.
Multidisciplinary board members and staff run the organization. The board has the role of policymaking and developing the overall strategic plan of the organization while the management has the task of implementing the activities.
- The Board of Directors of the Organization consists of the following;
- Chair lady
- Secretary &
To ensure the successful operation of the organization and transparency, we developed an organizational structure, which ensures the flow of control and responsibilities. The organizational chart given below displays the hierarchy of power though it is subject to the changes applicable and inevitable to the organization’s success.